Friday, October 08, 2004

Ah, Seattle Washington, what a wonderful city. Have you ever been to Seattle? If your answer is no, you may want to rethink your vacation plans, really! Besides the fact that Seattle sits in the shadow of Mount Saint Helen, this is a beautiful city. I have had the pleasure of visiting Seattle twice, I was there, back in 1998 for the National Association of Black Journalists Unity Convention, and again, this summer while on a road trip to British Columbia. While visiting Seattle most recently, there was one place that caught my attention, one place that I wished that I could pack up and bring back home to California with me, that place is the soul of Seattle, the Pike Place Market.
The Pike Place Market held its grand opening on August 17, 1907. Nearly a century after its founding, the Market remains a vital part of Seattle's social and economic fabric. The nine-acre historic district is the ?Soul of Seattle?, and a national treasure. It is located between 1st and Western Avenues and Pike and Virginia Streets, and a short walk from downtown Seattle's retail and hotel district.
A casual walk through the open air market is all you need to realize that this place is far from an ordinary market, the Pike Place Market is so alive you can almost feel its heart beat, as you browse through its endless shops and restaurants. If you can grow it, you can find it here. The Market is a happening place! As an authentic, working market, it's a busy place with deliveries coming and going: chefs in white coats shopping for ingredients, musicians performing on the sidewalks, shoppers laden with bags, and visitors from around the world taking in the sights.
My personal favorite is the fish flinging, Pike Place Fish Market, where I had the privilege of having an 8 pound striped bass hurled in my direction as a huge crowd cheered me on, until? it slipped out of my hands, resulting in jeers from the once supportive crowd. Being the perfectionist that I am, or glutton for punishment, you choose. I motioned to the fish flinger to give me one more chance. He tossed it, and as if in slow motion, the slippery fish landed in my hands and the crowd went wild! I was an official fish catcher. I threw my hands into the air, as if I had just hit a home run, I was the fish king! If you're hungry, there's no better place to be than the Pike Place Market. There are dozens of eateries, ranging from take out counters to full-service restaurants. Choose from Northwest flavors or international cuisines including French, Bolivian, Russian, Japanese, Irish and more. Bon appetite! The Pike Place Market is the place to visit if you ever have a chance to visit Seattle Washington. Oh, one more thing, you might want to bring an umbrella there is a good chance you may find rain during your visit.







Anyone wishing to respond to my notes posted in this weblog can do so on the we8there forum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home